My Whimcees

My Whimcees

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

WOYW - I Am A Duck


Hello,

If you have noticed the little duck sitting on the top of the small shelf unit on my workdesk, it is my good luck  charm. Over 30 years ago I was working as a nurse for an Orthopedic surgeon and one of my friends who was a nurse with my favorite IM physician gave this to me as a joke. Sue had this little wind up toy chick sitting on her workdesk and she insisted on calling it a duck! She knew I loved to wind it up and watch it walk as it always made me laugh. One day I came to work to find it on my workdesk with this piece of sutgical tape on it's back that said "I am a Duck" and Sue was around the corner watching to see my reaction. Well, I started to laugh and then Sue started to laugh and then the other nurses in our area started to laugh and pretty soon the physicians started coming out to see what the fuss was all about. All morning we would get the giggles and I would say "You can see it's a chick!" and Sue would say "You can see it's a duck!" and many of our patients had to see my little "Duck" and watch it walk

Sadly, my friend Sue was killed in an auto accident shortly after she gave this to me - she was 22 years old. She had a 1 year old daughter. Her mom also worked as a nurse at the clinic and it was a very sad time for everyone. Sue was a beautiful young woman with her life ahead of her. I was commissioned to draw her portrait in memory of  her and I have kept this sweet little wind up toy on my work desk wherever I have been since that time. It still works and from time to time I wind it up and it still makes me laugh - and remember Sue. 





Thank you for stopping by today to visit my blog! Go to 
http://stamping-ground.blogspot.com/ to see all of the wonderful entries this week for "What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday". I love visiting as many as I can to see what is being created all over the globe really. Wishing you some laughter today!

Barbara Diane

19 comments:

Linda said...

What a beautiful story about the duck (I think chicken ;-) too) What beautiful from you to keep it all those years
hugs Linda

trisha too said...

What a sweet remembrance of your friend, Barbara!

I didn't have much I could show this week, so did
the woyww daughter edition . . .

:)trisha
#143

Sandy Trefger said...

Ahh that's sad about your friend but what a wondeful memory. I love your little "duck" Ha, ha. And I love your workspace too! ~ Sandy #145

Rhonda Miller said...

What a touching story and a great memory of your friend. I love that you even still have the tape on the back. TFS.

Hazel said...

Love the story of the duck and the memory of the laughter, but so sad that your friend was killed at such a young age. Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a good week. Hazel WOYWW #87 x

Sue from Oregon said...

Such a wonderful memory Barbara. TFS! It is amazing how a simple act of joy and humor can last a lifetime.

I have to tell you I have meece like that lined up on my stove hood and on my copic holder(along with other critters) I always smile when I see them!

Katie said...

What a story! Made me smile and get teary eyed. Thanks for sharing!

Katie (146)

Ali H said...

What a bitter sweet story ! Love Mr Duck cum Chick & so lovely that you still have him to remind you of your friend. Perhaps those remembered fondly are never truly gone from us? Have a fun crafty week ! Ali #39

Anonymous said...

Happy WOYWW. My first visit here (I love finding these wonderful blogs on a Wednesday), and I will be back. It looks like you have some wonderful creations for me to look at. Thank you for sharing your story about your little duck/chick. Brought a few tears to my eyes. Such a tragic loss to lose your friend at such a young age. Ali x #61

Darnell said...

So sad about your young friend's tragic death, Barbara, but heartwarming that you have this little guy to keep her memory alive and make you smile! All the best, Darnell #45

KatzElbows said...

Love your desk. I'm always so inspired by well organised desks, even though I know it's never going to happen for me.

It could be a duckling.
cheers, rachel #19

Miriam said...

Lovely duck! Thanks for sharing.
#101

Princess Judy Palmer said...

What a nice trip down memory lane with your duck/chicken/bird thing. Such sweet memories. Look at all those markers! How fun. Do you have a note on your desk that says "eye dropper"? Here is my advice to you: don't mistake the bottle of reinker for eye drops. Just sayin'! Been there, ALMOST did that.

mark gould said...

Very cool duck,
lovely workspace, wish mine was that neat and tidy lol. happy crafting, mark

SophieNewton said...

What a moving story, thanks for sharing, your ducky is so sweet
Sophie no.92

Leanne said...

I was curious as to why this chick was here & read your touching story. Very nice of you to save this so long.

Unknown said...

Its nice to remember good times and friends even though they have passed.
Fab Duck/Chick.
Nice crafting area too. Hugs Elaine

peggy aplSEEDS said...

happy WOYWW! what a cute little duck! and for me an important reminder to live life knowing that we're just passing through.
hugs, #15 peggy aplSEEDS

Julia Dunnit said...

What a wonderful story Barbara, such sweetl gesture of fun that has sustained you when you've felt the loss of your friend. It will make me smile too, when is pot the little 'duck' on your desk!