My Whimcees

My Whimcees

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

WOYW Wednesday - Candy Legs Elves

Hello!

Early morning in this photo and it was time to send out this batch of cards now that the glitter has dried overnight and start to assemble the project that Jim and I were making for everyone who lives in his group home and the staff, in addtion to a few others. We made a total of 18 of these little guys - took 2 days into late evenings. Jim did most all of the paper punching of the different shapes, thank goodness, and I put them together.

I wanted to do a tutorial but ran out of time - so I thought I would still share some of the photos with you as they are pretty self explanatory. If you have any questions please do contact me and I would be happy to help. Many of the punches I used were SU with other miscellaneous punches. I drew the pattern for the pants and used ideas from other bloggers in addition to my own to complete my little elf. A huge thank you to everyone who's ideas I used! I looked at so many videos and blog postings that I am sorry to say that I can't give individual credit.

Head - SU Ornament Punch
Ears - Petal of Paper Shaper's 2" 5-Petal Flower Punch
Nose - SU 1/2" Circle Punch
Hands - SU Heart to Heart Punch - altered large heart
Feet - SU Butterfly Punch - altered 1/2 of butterfly wing
Neck - SU Modern Label Punch - cut in half


Hat - SU Full Heart Punch
Brim of Hat - SU Label Punch
Tassle on Hat - MARVY Small Flower Punch
I used a white Signo Gel Pen to make border stitches on the hat

Body - SU Round Tab Punch
Collar - EK 1" Scalloped Circle Punch
Google Eyes












Pom Pom on Shoes - SU 1/4" Circle Punch
Trim on Arms and Legs - SU Word Window Punch altered to size
I used a white Signo Gel Pen for to make border stitches on shoes.

All the pieces ready to assemble.

I used candy strips in cello bags that I purchased at The Dollar Store for the legs and arms - using 2 of them taped together for the legs. Even with 4 bags of the candy I did not have enough to make the long legs on all of them and when Jim walked to the store for me they were all sold out so I made the elves for the staff with short legs! Thank you Jim for the effort!



The front and back of the pants were each drawn on the cardstock and cut out by hand. The stitching is again made with a white Signo Gel Pen.

Buttons On Pants - SU 1/4" Circle Punch





You might notice that on this photo I have added a flower at the base of the neck on each of the elves. That is because I used ribbon to make hangers for them and a couple of hours after I had hung my prototype elf up and was working on the assembly of the others, I heard this loud crash and it was my elf! The weight of the candy had caused the neck to pull away from the collar (even though I used a double layer of Score Tape) and down he went! So I stapled each one at the base of the neck (it didn't hurt them!) and added another of the flowers that I had used to make the tassle on the hat to cover the staple. (like a band-aid) "<)

So cute! Well worth the time and effort! I love them and Jim was very happy with them - but I was relieved when this project was finished and they were ready to be delivered! :<) They won't be given until Christmas but I hope they make them all smile! Plus the candy is chocolate!

Thanks for stopping by today! Be sure to visit http://stamping-ground.blogspot.com/ to look at all of the wonderful entries and add your own photo of the creations you have been working on!

Wishing you a happy day!

Barbara Diane

21 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, that was a lot of work, Barbara! Must be so much fun making them. They sure to put a smile on the recipient.

Rhonda Miller said...

Oh my goodness, these are so fun. I'll have to let the kids make some for their friends. TFS.

Katie said...

So orderly!! SOOO CUTE!!! Thank you for sharing!!

Katie (106)

Mrs A. said...

Totally adorable. I love the cute expressions on their faces. Great team work I think with you and your son. Have a great Christmas and A Crafty New Year.
hugs Mrs A. #68

Pat said...

Barbara Diane! Soooo stinkin' cute!!! I love these! You are soooo clever! Hugs. Pat Frank

Elizabeth said...

Those elves are so cute! Great job! :) Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas! Tango #84

Karen said...

WOW those Elves are amazing and so cute :)

Have a great WOYWW and a very, very Happy Christmas to you and your family, Karen xx (#66)

Sarah said...

How fun and fabulous do these chaps look?! Beautifully made and bursting with detail - I love them!!! Thanks for sharing in such a busy week! Hope you have a very festive and wonderfully merry time - see you in 2012! Sarah at 11.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Those elves are so cute! I couldn't fathom the arms and legs until I read further in the post. Somehow I missed that they were candy. Excellent!

May said...

Such cute elves love them x x a lot of hard work but worth it they are great, Merry Christmas, Hugs May x x x x

peggy aplSEEDS said...

Hello, Barbara! I dropped by to greet you and your loved ones a joyful and blessed Christmas season and found your wonderfully cute elves. Your project is amazing. I love it. And I'm impressed at how many you made! Thanks for sharing!
hugs,
peggy aplSEEDS

peggy aplSEEDS said...

Hello, Barbara! I dropped by to greet you and your loved ones a joyful and blessed Christmas season and found your wonderfully cute elves. Your project is amazing. I love it. And I'm impressed at how many you made! Thanks for sharing!
hugs,
peggy aplSEEDS

Sharon-The OKI StampQueen said...

These are ADORABLE, too! Us short elves (I'm just under 5'!) appreciate the little people in life! ;) Blessings, Sharon

Anonymous said...

these are so creative ,thanks for sharing them...Rose

Debbie K. said...

Barbara, you are very creative! Just discovered your blog and became a follower. Gosh, your projects are amazing. Love the elves - long or short, they are CUTE!

hollyshome said...

Hi Barbara! I just thought that this was so cute that I wanted to link into it from my blog. Thanks for sharing your cute ideas!
http://hollyshome-hollyshome.blogspot.com/p/fun-and-free-christmas-ideas.html

Unknown said...

what an adorable idea. I'm sure ALL recipients will love them.best gifts are homemade with love...

Unknown said...

what an adorable idea...the very best gifts ever are the ones homemade with love.....

scootingranny said...

This is amazing and cute and wonderful and special and I LOVE IT!!!!

Unknown said...

Ok I just love your elves and I was thinking of making these for a school fundraiser but I have one question, did you just make pants backs or did you do body backs as well and I didn't notice what you used to pattern the body?

Ma said...

adorable and very creative!