My Whimcees

My Whimcees

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Toddler Doll Update



I finished the fill of the arms today(then bent them down from the shoulder) and added a bit on the feet of my toddler doll. But now she will have to sit in the window for at least a week I think, to make sure that the paper mache is completely dry before I start to sculpt the features and the "skin" using the PaperClay. The doll is only about 10" high but it is quite heavy now because of the weight of the wet paper mache, even if it has dried quite a lot in the past two days. I forgot to mention the book from which I got this pattern - it is "Sculpting & Making A Toddler Doll Head to Toe" by Susan Dunham from 1996. It is a beautiful book and has many photos and instructions on either sculpting a 20" toddler doll and/or a fast and easy project to make a 10" doll using the templates in the book (which is what I have done). There are also clothing patterns, including instructions for embroidery stitches. I also forgot to mention what pattern I used to make the first doll for my Shirley Temple doll options. It is a pattern that I have had for many years now - so you can see how long I have wanted to make this doll - a 1978 Judi's Doll "Shirley Temple" pattern for an 18" doll. I realized that I also have a second version of that same pattern which I purchased many years later, an updated one with a photo dated 1978/2002. The original pattern has a drawing of the doll on the front. I also have a larger version - I think for a 27" doll - that I may also make. It has been a beautiful warm and sunny day here in WI but now there is a tornado watch for nearby counties and we are included in the present thunderstorm area so I think that I will stay off the computer now for the rest of the evening. Tomorrow I start to sew another Shirley Temple doll option - using a smaller doll pattern by Carolee.

No comments: